As you get back into the routine of classes, homework, and tests, don’t forget to relax. And what better way to relax than joining the TC Team at some of our super-fun events. Check out our social media platforms for updates on all events going on in the Timbercrest community.
Some special tips for your apartment:
- Unplug cell phone chargers, curling irons, hair dryers, and similar items when not in use.
- Keep a bottle of drinking water in the refrigerator. This beats the wasteful habit of running tap water till it’s cold.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and shaving. This simple step can save three gallons each day.
- Clean the dryer lint filter after each load.
Reminders and Updates
Look out for our awesome September events! You can see a list of those events in this newsletter. We would love to see as many people as possible come out and enjoy these events with our TC Staff.
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of living in a Campus Advantage community is the opportunity to live and work closely with all types of people. We know that living with roommates isn’t always easy, whether you moved in with friends or were matched up with new people. Either way, it’s perfectly normal to have the occasional roommate conflict, and there’s actually a lot to be gained from handling a difficult situation maturely and respectfully.
We want to make sure you have the tools to handle these situations should they arise, so check out the tips below to ensure you and your roommates have the best living experience possible this year:
- Schedule a roommate meeting: Set up a time for all roommates to get together and have a proactive conversation about each person’s preferences and expectations when it comes to cleanliness, guests, sleeping/study times, the use of others belongings or food, etc.
- Be open minded: You and your roommates may be very different, and that’s OK! Stay open minded and positive about your roommates’ views and experiences, and you may end up learning a lot about them and yourself in the process.
- Give each other space: Even though your apartment is made for multiple people, everyone appreciates having space to themselves once in a while. Make sure you are sharing time in common areas and respecting each other’s privacy.
- When in doubt, talk it out: Most problems can be solved by just talking through the issue before it gets out of hand. If something is seriously bugging you about one of your roommates, bring it to them in a mature one-on-one conversation before bringing in other roommates or escalating the situation. Passive-aggressive behaviors won’t help.
- Divide responsibilities: While every roommate should commit to cleaning up after themselves, determine the best way to divide other responsibilities, such as taking out the trash, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, etc., to ensure everyone plays their part.
- Use conflict resolution backup: While talking can usually fix an issue in its early stages, sometimes a more structured approach is necessary. If you’ve tried and feel your efforts aren’t helping resolve an issue between roommates, reach out to your Community Assistant or the management team to help you brainstorm options. The management team is trained and willing to help conduct a roommate mediation process, if necessary, but is also happy to provide you with tips and tools to handle it yourself.
We want you to have a successful living experience while at our community, but we know that living with roommates can mean an occasional difference of opinion. When roommates decide to communicate their expectations, listen and try to understand each other, and care about each other’s well-being — the many great memories you make will outweigh any small conflict you may have.
Community Events Calendar
TC Cribs — All Month — Is your apartment the best in the community? Send pictures of your apartment to [email protected] for a chance to win a prize for the best decorated apartment.
Popsicle Pop-in Pool Day — September 2 @ 2 p.m. — What’s better than popsicles by the pool with your fellow neighbors? Nothing! Come out for some delicious popsicles and enjoy cooling down in the pool.
Survey Go-Cones — September 6 @ 1 p.m. — We want to hear how your experience at Timbercrest is going so far. Come to the office to take a survey and receive a snow cone on us.
Walking Taco Tuesday — September 10 @ 2 p.m. — One of your favorite events is back! Stop by and enjoy some tacos on the go with our office staff.
Madden Tournament — September 11 @ 6 p.m. — Do you think you have the skills to be a Madden champion? Come show off your gaming skills and enjoy some delicious snacks.
DIY Wood Signs — September 12 @ 2 p.m. — It’s time to bring out your creative side. Come to the clubhouse to make a sign you can hang in your apartment or give to a friend.
Build Your Resume — September 17 @ 5 p.m. — Need some tips on building the perfect resume? Come to our Build Your Resume event with Career Services so you can create the perfect resume and get that dream job.
Sugar Rush — September 18 @ 2 p.m. — Just like Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, we’ll have candy you forgot existed! Come down to fill a goodie bag with some of your favorite candies and enjoy the sugar rush!
BBQ with the Ques — September 19 @ 5 p.m. — We love collaborating with UWG organizations! Come to our barbecue cookout and meet the UWG Ques. There will be food, music, and fun!